Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Relax.

Today was a particularly difficult day for me.  It wasn't because I was overwhelmed with kids.  It wasn't because I had too much to do.  It wasn't because I was late and rushing around.  No, it wasn't any of the usual culprits that caused this day to be not my favorite.  It was a combination of a lack of sleep last night and circumstances that I couldn't control.  In a nutshell, I was supposed to have my windows replaced today, and I moved everything in my house around, took down my blinds and rearranged my mindset for the day only to not have it happen.  This, on top of not having slept well sent me a little bit over the edge.  I was annoyed.  I was frustrated.  I was irritated. 

So I needed to unwind.  There are a few things I do in order to unwind and relax.  More often than not I go to the gym.  Sometimes I take a bubble bath and read a book.  Other times I watch television or my favorite movie with a glass of red wine.  Tonight, I did one of my favorite things.  I took myself out for coffee .  I sat at Starbucks for a couple hours, just me and my laptop.  I got some really good writing done, ran into some friends I haven't seen for a while and got to drink a delicious cup of comfort.  Now I feel a hundred times better.  I don't want to snap someone's head off anymore (well, not most people anyways). 

I find it incredibly important to include these kinds of things in my life.  To have balance, I need to set aside time for myself to detox from all the bad and irritating things that build up during the day.  It took me quite a long time to find tools that I can use to unwind, and I am always searching for more.  If we allow the stress of life to stay inside ourselves, it becomes toxic.  Stress not only alters your mindset, but it also alters your body.  When I am under a lot of stress, I eat.  I self sabotage.  I become destructive and negative.  I don't want to exercise .  These things take a toll on mind and body, and I end up gaining weight and beating myself up about it.  Then it turns into a nasty spiral.  Because I am feeling negative towards myself, I end up medicating by eating more and exercising less, and then it just goes down hill from there.  Well, that is what could happen if I didn't have a box of tools I regularly use to get rid of all my negativity.  Instead of eating all the chocolate in sight, today I splurged on coffee and a small pastry and some much needed alone time.  I don't want the toxic effects of stress in my mind and body, and I don't want them in my home.  So I purged them. 

Stress can be erased by seemingly simple, small things.  By doing something to purposefully change your mindset, you don't allow stress to sink its teeth into you.  One thing that is important is that you have to be able to recognize what you are feeling, and have a strategy to deal with it.  Everyone needs something they can actively do to get rid of unwanted feelings.  I have written previously about positive thinking, and the benefits of it.  In an ideal world, we would all think positively, all the time.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  Even the most positive people get down sometimes.  That is why we need to be aware of our feelings, our triggers, and the things that can help.  By doing something as simple as pounding it out at the gym, or sipping a warm cup of coffee in the company of my laptop, I can alter the negative thinking patterns that creep in and put them back on track.  I don't claim to be a professional, or to know what will and will not work for everyone.  I just know that I feel better when I am being positive and not allowing stress to have a residence in my mind.  I can only tell you what I try to do, and how I try to cope.  My hope is that everyone else out there has their own things that work.  We have enough to worry about in life without those extra little stresses.

What do you do to get rid of your stress?  Do you have something you can do to re-balance yourself, so that you don't have stress and negativity eating you up?  I would love to hear comments on your strategies and tools to de-stress and rearrange your negative thoughts to positive ones.

10 Simple Solutions to Stress: How to Tame Tension And Start Enjoying Your Life
Eliminate Stress And Anxiety From Your Life - Dealing With Stress! (Master Resale Rights)
Slim Goodbody Life Skills: Dealing With Stress

No comments:

Post a Comment