Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Food Fight

Food. It's something women think about a lot. We love it, hate it, use it, need it....well, let's just say it's always on our minds. Well, it's always on my mind anyway. I struggle with food in many ways. I try to eat as healthy as I can (a little obsession of mine), I want to snack on yummy treats, and I want to give my kids the best foods I can offer. What I really struggle with is the HOW of it all.

I have always struggled with my weight. When I was little I was forced to eat everything on my plate, no matter if I was full or not. This, coupled with huge portions, has caused me to have a bit of an overeating complex. I am only now recognizing that I don't actually have to finish what's on my plate; that I can stop when I'm full and I can even take smaller portions! Wow, what a revelation! I make it a point to let my kids stop when they are full, whether they still have food on the plate or not. I usually encourage them to have another bite of this or that, so they have eaten a balanced meal, but I am very conscious not to force them to eat too much.

Then there's the struggle of WHAT to feed everyone. My own kids will eat whatever I give them, because it's that or nothing (and my older girl loves most foods anyways). Having a dayhome however, has posed struggles of a different sort. Different kids like different things, and I struggle to provide them with nutritious options that they will all eat so I don't have to make four separate meals. One kid might not like sandwiches, one might like everything plain, one might not like chicken, one might not like veggies...how do I make a meal that they will all eat while still maintaining a healthy balance? I find I have had to make some compromises in what I am feeding the kids, and I don't like it. I have decided to research recipes that will make me feel better about what I give them, and still be tasty and fun. Any suggestions would be super! I did find a great recipe for homemade chicken nuggets that are made from chicken breasts, whole wheat bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.

Then there's the problem of what to feed my baby. I started giving her small amounts of solids at about five and half months because she seemed to be ready for food. She showed all the signs. She sat up with little help, was interested in what I was eating and started grabbing things with her index finger and thumb. Then she stopped gaining weight as quickly as she should. I couldn't figure out why! We went for tests of all sorts, and still haven't received the results. I followed the recommended diet for first foods, only to discover that it isn't necessarily best for my baby. I started by giving her single grain cereals, and moved on to more complex cereals as she grew. So many problems cropped up! First, she was constipated. Then she had diarrhea for about two or three weeks. I did some research and decided to take her off all infant cereals completely, and just give her lots of fruits, veggies and whole grain oats as her only grain. What a difference! The bowel problems have stopped, and she seems to be feeling a lot better. It just makes sense that what's good for me is good for her. I'm willing to bet that at my next check up, she'll have gained an adequate amount of weight.

So, my fight with food continues...or perhaps it is a battle with my own perceptions of food. I am trying to gain a proper perspective on what food is for - nourishment as opposed to entertainment or enjoyment or comfort (I am SUCH an emotional eater). I am trying new things with the kids that I hope are enjoyable for them as well as nutritious. I am deciding to really limit the amount of processed foods I buy and consume (not that they are abundant in my house anyway). I am trying, trying, trying...

No comments:

Post a Comment