Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Are You Ready? I'm NOT!!

There are three days left until Christmas.  I love Christmas.  It is by far my favorite holiday, but it is also, as I get older, the most stressful of holidays.  This year, I am hosting a small dinner on Christmas Eve at my house, and I have a list about ten feet long of things to do.  Except I can't get any of it done!  I have been working long days this week, because my day home kids are all on holidays and here early in the morning and late in the afternoon.  I can only get so much done with a minimum of six kids running around my ankles and needing to be fed, watered and entertained.  Not to mention the fact that I certainly can't go anywhere during the day, so grocery shopping is out of the question.  I am also home-bound in the evening.  My husband is working nights, and we only have one vehicle, so unless I want to pack up my kids and walk somewhere in the snow, I am pretty much stuck in the house.  So, it all has to get done on Christmas Eve day...yay me!  I have a feeling there will be very little sleeping in my life until boxing day.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love having people at my house, and the craziness of celebrating Christmas with my family.  I am looking forward to dinner, the Christmas Eve service and our tradition of opening one present before sending the kids to bed in eager anticipation of Santa's arrival.  I'm looking forward to the kids ripping open their presents Christmas morning and then rushing around like crazy people to pack everyone and everything into the van for the two hour drive to my Aunt's house for Christmas dinner.  I am looking so forward to the food, wine, desserts and especially the company!  I thrive on being insanely busy I think.  I must be a woman.

But seriously, how I get it all done in time I have no clue!  It all ends up getting done in the end though, and I think I must be super-human or something!  Women have something bred into us that makes it so that we magically things get done in time.  If this wasn't true, then the world would have ended long ago.  So, I will get all the cleaning, prepping, cooking and baking done in time if it kills me, and then when it is all over, I will clean it all up again and have a satisfying glass of wine, or two or three.  Then, even though I will want to sleep for a day, I will go back to work and my life will resume as per usual.

I really do love Christmas.  Truly, I do.  Even though it is full of stress and pressure, and craziness and busyness, it is my favorite time of the year.  Even though I will probably gain back a good five pounds of the 47 I have lost, it is all worth it to spend this magical time with the people I love the most, and to eat and drink until I can't fit anymore in.

So, I'm not even remotely ready for the holiday, but I will be!  I won't be sleeping, eating or generally doing anything for myself, but it will all be worth the payoff in the end.  Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment