Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sisters

My sisters and I haven't always been close.  A lot has happened in our lives that has made it so that we lost touch.  With my younger sister, there were about ten years when I couldn't see her due to circumstances with her father.  With my older sister, even though she is my step-sister, we were still close even after I moved out of my home at sixteen up until a few years ago when I think life just got in the way.  Now, we are all back in one another's lives, and today we all got together for the first time in about 12 years. 

For me, it was an emotional time and I felt myself choking back tears most of the day.  I'm pretty sure it was like that for them too.  The truth is that after being separated for so long, the fact that we share a sisterly bond has never changed.  Over the years there was never a lack of love for each other and I found it easy to fall back into step with both of them today.  My little sister and I have been back in each other's lives for a few years now, and today I just felt closer to her. 

I have probably mentioned how important relationships are to me in previous posts, and today I find myself thinking on the subject again.  There is, to me, nothing more important in life than relationships.  They are what make up life.  Having meaningful and close relationships is something I strive for, and I am finding more and more that I just don't have time for relationships that don't mean something.  I value the people in my life more than anything else, and honestly, I can't imagine waking up one day and not having them around.  My husband, my kids, my sisters, my aunts, my cousins, my in-laws, my friends - these are all people I really truly want to know and be known by.  I want meaningful and significant relationships with them all.

My sisters are two of the most important people in my life.  I remember when my mom married my step-father, and told me that not only did I have a new step-sister, but I also had a baby brother or sister on the way.  I remember my elation at that very moment, knowing that I had just gone from being an only child to having two siblings!  When my little sister was born, I instantly wanted to take care of her, and I have always felt that way.  I feel that way even now. 

So today, I hope, was the first time in many times to come where all three of us sisters were able to spend some quality time together.  I love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment