Friday, June 17, 2011

Favorite Recipes

I've been taking a more proactive approach to the nutrition of myself and my family in the last few years, as I'm sure you are aware.  I have written ad nauseam about it.  I have obsessed over it, cried over it, rejoiced over it and just generally immersed myself in all things food.  So today, finally, I thought I'd share some of my favorite healthful recipes that both myself and my kids enjoy.  There are some indulgences here and there, because to be honest, I cannot live without them.  Hope you find something you like and can tweak to fit your needs!

1) My newest favorite is a muffin recipe from Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite.

Banana Oat Muffins

Heat oven to 350 and line or grease a 12-hole muffin tin. In a large bowl combine 1 1/3 cups oats, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole grain whole wheat flour), 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/2 cup light brown sugar (you could use turbinado for something a little less refined, but you will want to add that to your liquids and let it dissolve instead of using it dry).  Make a well in the center and set aside.  In another bowl, mash 4 large ripe bananas.  Add 1 large beaten egg, and 4 tbsp melted butter (I used unsalted - or you could use light olive oil).  Dump it all in the dry mixture and stir until just moistened.  Then add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or, if you are like me, you'll add dark chocolate chips instead).  Fill up your tins and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  They are beautifully moist and delicious, with very few ingredients!  This also makes a great loaf, just lower the temp by about 25 degrees and bake longer.  Mine took about 35 mins.

2) I looked up granola bars on allrecipes.com, and found one called Chewy Granola Bars.  I modified it a little to suit my family and day home.  These are not low calorie, but they are much better than the ones you buy in the grocery store.  I must admit, I ate way too many of them!!!

Original Recipe (my modifications in brackets)

Ingredients

  • 4 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used 2 cups of granola cereal and 2 1/2 cups oats)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole grain whole wheat flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened (I used unsalted butter)
  • 1/2 cup honey (here I used 1/4 cup peanut butter and 1/4 cup honey, but found they were too dry, so next time I'd up the amount of honey)
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (Again, you could use turbinado, or organic evaporated cane juice sugar with molasses added to it in the blender or food processor - like 1 tsp per cup, if you are not wanting to use refined sugar.)
  • 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips (I was out of chocolate chips, so I threw in some cocoa powder, until it was dark enough to look chocolatey, then I taste tested to make sure it was good)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.
  3. Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving. 
3)  My little ones love muffins, and I have been using this basic recipe for a long time.  Even though I already put a muffin recipe...this one is basic and you can add anything you want to it.
1 3/4 cups whole grain whole wheat flour
1/3 cup organic evaporated cane juice sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk (I have used whole milk because that's what my kids drink, but any kind of milk will work, including almond milk or rice milk)
1/4 cup cooking oil (I prefer to use unsweetened apple sauce, but then you really need to make sure you grease your tins)
Add all dry ingredients, mix, make a well.  Mix all wet ingredients, pour into dry, mix, and then fill up your tins.  Bake 18 - 20 mins until toothpick comes out clean.  I always add something else to these when I bake.  I have used chocolate chips, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries (and any other kind of berry you like), bananas (if using banana, reduce milk to 1/2 cup and use 3/4 cup mashed banana), grated cheese (1/2 cup or more if you like), raisins or any kind of dried fruit you like, oats (reduce flour to 1 1/3 cup and add 3/4 cup oats - though I prefer Ramsay's recipe for oat muffins).  Honestly, muffins are the most versatile thing I bake, and my kids eat 'em up, especially the mini ones! 
4) Cereal mix - from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, modified by yours truly.
4 cups bite sized corn square cereal (I've used Life or Shreddies, but I think Chex or something else could work)
4 cups bite-sized rice square cereal (I use cheerios or whatever is on sale if I can't find something like this)
2 cups mini pretzels
1 cup sliced almonds (I had a kid with a nut allergy, so omitted this and opted for more cereal or dried fruit)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (unfortunately, this one is necessary because it's caramel sauce, but feel free to try turbinado or cane juice sugar with molasses and tell me how it goes...)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons light colored corn syrup (I have tried honey successfully)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup (or more) dried fruit of your choice, like raisins, cranberries etc.
In large roasting pan combine cereal and pretzels and almonds.  Set aside.  In medium saucepan combine sugar, butter and syrup/honey.  Cook and stir on medium heat until it boils.  Then continue boiling at a moderate rate without stirring for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, add baking soda and stir.  Pour over cereal mixture and stir gently to coat it.  Bake in 300 degree oven for 15 mins, give it a stir, then 5 mins more.  Cool on a greased piece of tin foil before serving.  
This recipe is by no means low fat or low calorie, but if you give it in moderation, I think it's a good snack.  I always give it with fruit or yogurt on the side.  You can also reduce the amount of caramel sauce you put on it, because it is quite sweet, but like I said, it's okay to indulge sometimes!  If you're going to, why not do it with whole grains and dried fruit dressed up a little?  Moderation is the key.
5) Mini Pizzas
On small whole wheat pita shells, spread some pizza sauce (tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce or homemade stuff will work too).  Cut up your favorite kind of meat and throw it on.  I've used ham, turkey, chicken, sausage, or whatever else my day home kids will eat.  Grate some low fat mozzarella, and sprinkle.  Bake at 400 for like 5 minutes, then broil for maybe 2 or three.  Of course, you can add any veggies you like, but my day home kids never want any so they get carrot sticks etc. on the side.  But this is a great, please everyone kind of meal that includes all four food groups in one tasty thing.  The best part is that pita shells are way better than pizza crust, and you can be choosy about your sauce.  You want to pick a sauce that doesn't have sugar listed as one of the top ingredients.  I've also used whole wheat English muffins before too. 
6) Quesadillas - My kids will eat this pretty much any time, and it's a great way to, again, get all four food groups into one thing and make it yummy.
Butter one side of a whole wheat tortilla.  Put on grill or large frying pan and place ingredients only on one half so you can fold it over.  Throw in some grated cheese, chopped chicken or whatever meat you like, and some veggies your kids will eat.  Mine like peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes etc.  Fold the shell over so that the edges are even.  Grill until brown on one side, flip, repeat.  Cut into wedges (a pizza cutter works great) and enjoy!  Again, this one is not low in fat, but if you choose fresh ingredients and watch how much cheese you put in, you're set.
Did you notice that most of the recipes I posted are for snacks and desserts?  I hate cooking meals...HATE it, but I really enjoy cooking sweets.  I have found some really great ways of getting good stuff into my kids while making it fun and yummy.  I hope you can take some of these ideas and make them into stuff your kids (or adults...) will eat and enjoy!  I'd love to hear your recipes too!

Happy eating!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment