Monday, August 9, 2010

Celebrations

Today is my seventh wedding anniversary, and that got me thinking of all the things in my life I should be celebrating - not just on their respective days of the year, but every day.  I, like many others, have many, many things to celebrate. 

Getting married is probably one of the best things I ever did.  Growing up, I didn't have the best examples of marriage in my immediate family, but nonetheless, I clung to the idea from a very young age that I wanted to get married, and stay married forever.  I remember two weeks after I started dating my husband, I knew he was it for me.  I just knew that I was going to marry him (though I didn't mention it to him at the time).  Since that day, sitting in my kitchen and confessing to my roommate that I was in love with him, I have never looked back.  I am so glad.  We have had our particular challenges, but in all, the total of ten years that we have been together (to be celebrated in September), has been nothing short of wonderful.  Somehow we have made it this far, and I love and respect him more all the time.  We are making it work, and that is cause for celebration.

Some of the other causes for celebration in my life are pretty obvious too.  My kids bring me joy every day of my life, and I am so proud of them.  My big girl is going to kindergarten in a few short weeks, and she is already learning to read, and write, and is quite the little artist.  I think she's so fantastic, and such a good kid, and so healthy and happy.  That is cause for celebration.  My baby took her first steps this week, and is starting to talk and has such a personality.  That too is cause for celebration.  What more can I ask of in this life?

There are so many other reasons for me to celebrate, not the least of which is my fantastic sister.  We spent the better part of the last ten years apart from each other for many different reasons, but in the past few years, we have been able to come back together and have begun some major repairs on our relationship.  I am so proud of the person she is, and how courageous and kind she is.  She is truly a blessing in my life, and I celebrate every day that she is back in my life, and that we are close again. 

So, what do you have to celebrate today?  I have only named a few things, and I'm sure if I sat here long enough, I could fill up multiple posts.  I encourage you to spend a little time today celebrating the wonderful things in your life that you cherish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment