Friday, July 23, 2010

Positive Self-Talk

In my life, I have struggled with many different things. Some of them have been difficult to overcome, and some have not. Some of them I have not overcome yet. Some I am totally unaware of. Something that was brought to my attention last weekend was the power of my own words, and how much they affect my life. I rode a bike forty kilometers as an overweight, somewhat out of shape, exhausted person. But, I did it. I didn't think I could, but I arrived in one piece at the end. Part of it was because I had made a commitment. Part of it was because everyone else was doing it too, and part of it was because instead of telling myself how hard it was, I told myself I could do it. One of my companions mentioned that there is a correlation between what you say aloud and what your brain does. Since then, positive self talk has been on my mind, and I decided to do a little research.

I have always known that if you look for the positive things in life, that's what you will see. It makes sense that we see where our eyes are looking, even in a figurative sense. I find that when I am negative about myself, to myself, then I achieve less. I am less motivated, and less likely to follow through. I don't do things I love and I don't try to. When I am positive about things, I find that it breeds more positive things (snowball effect, right?). On my bike ride, I found the first three kilometers the most difficult. It was on a bike path, with small hills and smooth ground. Why was it hard? Because I told myself it was. Why couldn't I make it up those hills? Because I told myself I couldn't. Out loud. I said "I can't do this." So, I didn't. So how on earth did I make it the rest of the way? I decided to stop telling myself I couldn't and tell myself I could. I found myself repeating aloud, "You got this," "You're doing it," "You're awesome," through some of the more difficult pushes, and guess what? I did it!


Here's another example from my recent experience. I went to the gym yesterday, and caught my reflection in the window as I walked up. Instead of seeing a body that is overweight and has bulges in places I wish it didn't, I saw a body that is way more toned and slim than it was nine months ago (and even before getting pregnant for that matter). I said to myself (not aloud this time...no one else needs to think I'm nuts), you actually look like you belong here. You look pretty freakin' good! And guess what? My workout was awesome. I pushed hard, I was sweating hard, and I had a great time. I
enjoyed exercise, and if you know me, you know that's a little strange! I am definitely sore today!

I'm finding that positive self talk is changing my perception on many things. I tell myself that I'm a good mother, and I really become a better mother. I tell myself I look good, and I am motivated to keep working at it. I tell myself I am a good writer, and the words flow. It's the small things that make up the majority of a person's experience, and if you can change the small things, than the big things are sure to follow suit. I don't know about you, but it just makes sense to me that if I choose to view things in a positive light, then they will be positive. If I don't see negative, how can it affect me?

Here are some quotes I found when I googled 'positive self talk':
  • Limited thinking: When you tell yourself you can't handle something (or some other self-limiting thought), you tend to stop looking for solutions.
  • The words that you use to describe what is happening to you, and how you feel about external events, will trigger the emotions of happiness or unhappiness that you experience.
  • Repeating affirmations is a self talk method that can affect and change behavior and habits. This is an effective method for self improvement and for improving one's life, because the subconscious mind accepts and regards often repeated thoughts, statements or self talk as commands. The subconscious mind does not make distinctions between negative and positive thoughts and self talk, and treats them both in the same way, which means that you have to be careful to choose only positive affirmations.
It's by no means extensive research, but if I've made you think a little about changing the way you speak to yourself, then my job is done. I hope you start telling yourself you are awesome today...because you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment