Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Getting over That Lull

So, I've been griping for the last month that I haven't been able to go to the gym, that I'm lonely, that I'm bored and blah, blah, blah, blah.  This past month has been a definite adjustment for me not having the freedom to take off and get that 'me time' I crave after I put the kids to bed, and not having the company of anyone over the age of 6 for all of my waking hours.  Yeah, it's been pretty hard, and I have admittedly hit a lull in my weight loss.  Something pulled me out of it this week though.  You know what it was?  Working out.

We had a long weekend this past weekend.  My husband actually had all three days off too, and my oldest daughter went to spend it with her grandma.  That left me at home with only one kid, and someone to look after her!  I took full advantage of this, and went to the gym twice.  I don't know when I'll be able to go again, but getting the chance after such a long time made me appreciate once again just how much I need to be physically active on a daily basis.  This is something I can do at home too!  I don't have a state-of-the-art fitness facility in my home, but I do have some weights, some dvds and some great workout games on my Wii.  I have made a resolve to get active at home every day, regardless of how tired and unmotivated I am.  Just because I can't go to the gym doesn't mean I have to give up on my healthy lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong.  It's not like I sit around all day long doing nothing.  I am running around caring for four, six, sometimes eight children from 7:45 am until 5:30 pm, feeding them, playing with them, doing crafts, going to the park, going for walks, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning (and two of those children are mine, so I never get a break!).  But I don't get my cardio in every day, and I really want to.  My weights are sitting in my living room in plain sight, yet they never get picked up.  My problem is that I spend all day and all night in my home, with the exception of dropping my daughter off at school and taking the kids outside, so I just don't want to work out at home.  I don't want to be at home after a whole day of it!  I don't, however, have a choice.  So, I must motivate myself to just get my butt moving where I am.  It's really not that hard!

I feel like I have turned a corner.  In the past week, I have gotten so much positive feedback about the weight I have lost thus far, and it feels really great to have that acknowledged.  I am encouraged to keep on going, because I really do have a few more pounds to go, and it's not just about the pounds anymore.  I truly want to live an active and healthy lifestyle, and that means getting some sort of work out in every day, whether I can make it to the gym or not.  It's been a hard month, and quite frankly, I have been feeling pretty negative about my situation.  I try to remain positive, but I am only human.  I feel like after an adjustment period, I am beginning to find my stride again.  And that feels great. 

In the past three days I have gone to the gym twice, and done a Power Pilates DVD at home.  Today I plan on doing a great workout with Jillian Michaels via my Wii.  Tomorrow, who knows? 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Oooh! Have I got some ideas for you!

    What if you designated a little corner of your house as your fitness space... you could put up some motivational quotes and pictures... maybe even some pics of how far you've come (If you don't have a space - maybe a bulletin board that you pull out when you're transforming your living room?)

    Also there is an AMAZING website http://www.bodyrock.tv/ each day they post another workout you do AT HOME. They're short and intense and AWESOME.

    And another idea I know Tanis has done before is challenge herself to complete a certain number of minutes of exercise in a month - you can make it into a fun game with some sort of reward at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Heather, thanks! I will definitely try this stuff!

    ReplyDelete