Saturday, February 19, 2011

Going for It

Today I did something I have always wanted to do, except I never had the guts to get it done.  I got my nose pierced!  It seems so small and trivial to me now, and I think that I was able to do it because my perspectives have changed in the past few years.  I don't know what the big deal about it was before.  I don't really know what was holding me back.  I just know that I have always wanted a piercing, and I have never gotten one.  Last weekend, I decided that I was just going to go for it, so I scheduled an appointment, and am now sporting a lovely piece of jewelry on my nose.  I absolutely adore it!  I don't know why I had to wait until I was 29 to do it!  Well, maybe I have an idea why.  I have never felt comfortable in my own skin.  I have always been heavier than most of my friends, and though I never lacked attention from the opposite sex because I was particularly well endowed, I never quite felt right.  Because of this, I think I haven't ever really wanted to draw attention to my physical appearance.

I have always liked piercings and tattoos, or the idea of them, but never quite felt like I could do it.  In the past few years, I have learned that if there is something in life that I want, I need to just go for it (that is assuming of course that they are not harmful or inappropriate)!  I use the piercing as an example, but it can apply to much bigger things.  Life experiences are not closed to me just because I am a mother of two, a wife, and because I will soon be entering my thirties.  In fact, I think that in light of all this, I am beginning to realize just how one track I used to be, and I am able and willing to expand my consciousness.  Life is not comprised of the things that immediately occupy my space, and just because I feel uncomfortable or awkward, I should not be deterred from doing the things I would like to do.

I don't claim to be a whole other person just because I am doing different things, but losing so much weight has given me a freedom inside that I haven't felt for a long, long time.  I am so proud of how far I have come, and I truly feel comfortable in my skin.  I feel attractive and sexy even though parts of my body don't look the way they used to in my younger years.  I feel like it's okay to draw attention to myself, it's okay to dress in ways that accentuate my body, and it's okay to want to be seen.  And I do...want to be seen.  I think that might be why I decided to go for the piercing.  I don't feel the need to hide myself any more, and so why not accessorize?  (Next on my list are two tattoos...then who knows?!) 

My point is this:  if there is something in life that you want do to, why haven't you done it?  What is stopping you?  Are you like I was, unwilling to draw attention to yourself because you are ashamed of your body?  Are you scared because new things come with a great deal of uncertainty?  Are you afraid of failure?  Whatever it is, I encourage you to seize the day, whether it be losing that extra fifty pounds you've been carrying or taking a leap and changing careers. 

Why not just go for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment