Friday, April 29, 2011

Still Searching for Balance!

I am sure I have alluded to how stupidly busy I am lately.  I've been in the process of taking my private day home to an agency and going through all the licensing procedures and paper work.  Tomorrow (hopefully) I sign my contract and the whole process is finished.  Now I am thinking a little about what in my life has suffered because of this extreme amount of busyness and stress.  The two things that have suffered the most are sleep and exercise.  I can definitely see and feel that I'm not treating my body the way it should be treated, and I'm at a point where I need to do something.

Exercise is the hardest thing for me to get in right now.  Aside from walking on a daily basis to take my daughter to school, and the up and down of caring for children and doing chores all day long, my exercise life is virtually non-existent.  I went to the gym the weekend before Easter, and I don't see being able to go again in the near future.  I am also seriously lacking resolve to exercise at home, even though I have the things I need to get a good work out in.  I need someone to come and kick my butt to get me moving.  I struggle with the desire to be healthy and active and the desire to actually sit down at the end of the day when my kids go to bed.  I am on my feet from 7:30 am to 8:00 pm, and honestly, by the end of that time period, I'm so exhausted I could sleep standing up.

This brings me to my next struggle:  sleep.  I have an acute inability to go to bed at a reasonable hour, even though I know full well that I have to get up in the morning, and that I'm going to walk around in a sleepy haze most of the day, clutching my coffee cup for dear life.  I just can't do it.  I feel like I'm going to miss something.  From 8:00 pm to midnight is my quiet time for myself, and because my husband usually doesn't get home from work until 10, I don't want to go to sleep.  I am one of those people who needs serious sleep in order to feel rested and function properly, and I get 7 hours at best.  That is more than enough for lots of people out there, but definitely not for me.  I need like 10!  Those rare weekends when my husband isn't working and gets up with the kids, I can sleep until noon and I only get out of bed because I feel guilty for sleeping my day away, not because I am ready to get up.  Maybe there is something wrong with my body...maybe there is some mysterious nutrient missing that makes it so that I never feel rested, I don't know.  All I know is that I rarely feel like I've slept.  It kind of stinks.

Do you ever struggle with these things?  I know I would be a happier and more balanced person if these two things weren't so out of whack, but I feel like there is some sort of invisible wall blocking my way.  Does someone want to try getting inside my head and figure out what makes it so that I do this to myself?  It's annoying.

But really, I believe it's important to achieve balance in our lives in order to get the most out of it.  I know that because I lack sleep I am more short tempered and grumpy, and I enjoy my day less.  I know that because my exercise is sporadic and inconsistent, my body doesn't feel as good as it should, and I have less energy all around.  The fact of the matter is that these two things are essential for healthy living and balancing my inner self.  I really have to figure out a way to make it happen. 

What is out of balance in your life?  Are there things that need more attention, and some things that could use a little less?

2 comments:

  1. Sleep is SO key - not enough sleep puts your hormones out of whack too. I've read that sleep BEFORE midnight is best. I've also found that when you find yoursef with bad habits - you just have to force yourself to do what you know you need to for a week and then it'll start coming naturally.

    As for my imbaances... definitely emotional eating still! I can eat balanced and healthy for a good stretch and then I'll let stress or cravings get the best of me. I also tend to let a small slip up SNOWBALL big time because I feel like dirt about messing up and I just keep eating in order to bury the guilty - until I feel SO guilty. I also don't drink enough water... but I'm working on it.

    I was also out of the workout routine a couple of weeks ago but I switched things up and found something I loved and could work towards.

    Oooh.. sign up for a race... then you'll have to train for it. Maybe Jane can ride her bike and you can put Claire in a jogging stroller???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so love to do a race, but I've been advised not to run, ever. Maybe something on bike though! I don't have one, but I really, really want to get one, or my rollerblades which I'm just about ready to break out!

    I struggle with emotional eating still too, especially this last month. With all this stress I just find food so comforting, even against my better judgment. I say to myself, you only want this because you're stressed out, and then I tell myself that I still want it anyway. It's kind of ridiculous. We all struggle with that I think!

    ReplyDelete