Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Good News or the Bad News?

Well, for all of you joining me on the final stretch of my weight loss journey, I hope this post is encouraging.  I have some good news, and I have some bad news.  Which would you like first?  They always say bad news first, so here it is.

This week started off with the greatest of intentions.  I had a plan.  I was going to stick to my goals and stay away from junk food if I could help it.  I was going to do some kind of physical activity every day.  I was going to lose 1.333333333 pounds.  Right now, I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.  I did quite well for the first few days, but Thursday took a turn for the worse. 

I had to pick my daughter up from school without having a vehicle, so I had to walk, and that entails packing up my 17 month old, a 22 month old and a 3 year old that I take care of, and trekking with them all the way through the melting abyss of slushy mess to get to the school (it's not that far).  I had the baby on my back, the 22 month old in the stroller and the 3 year old in tow walking.  It's quite a workout getting those kids around in a timely manner, and we had to go there and come back.  So I did that, and it was great to get outside and walk and get my heart rate up a little.  But then came supper.  My daughter came home with a stellar report card, and I was so proud of her I wanted to give her some sort of reward.  And, I didn't want to cook.  I caved and ordered pizza.  Yep.  Fatty, greasy, delicious pizza.  I ate 3 pieces for supper, and then another piece and a half later on that night.  So much for my great week of weight loss!  But that's not all...oh no, that is not the end of the story.

Friday night, my daughter and I had movie night.  We went to the grocery store to pick a few things up for my husband to munch on, and then we ended up getting chips, cheezies and pop for ourselves.  Oh dear!  This gets better.  I ate so much of it I wanted to barf!  To top it all off, I went out for appetizers and cheesecake with my good friend this evening, and loved every minute of it.  In a nut shell, I ate a lot of crap this week that I usually don't eat, and my body is telling me that it's not happy.  My stomach is feeling a little sick even now as I write this.  Definitely bad news.  Not a great eating week for me.

Want to know the good news?  Yes!  There is good news after all of the terrible indulgences listed above.  Here goes...  First, I exercised every day this week.  I did a couple hundred crunches and leg raises, I went for a couple of good walks, and I ran around outside with the kids (not too much running, but I tried).  This is good!  I feel a sense of accomplishment, and it has been so incredible to be outdoors again after such a long and disgusting winter.  So I'm happy about that.

Second, I actually ate really well, apart from the junk binges.  My breakfasts we never over 250 calories, my lunches all week long were either a large bowl of coleslaw with tuna or chicken, dill, lemon and some light mayo or rice cake sandwiches with turkey and lots of veggies.  They were filling and low in calories.  I didn't munch while preparing meals, and I drank lots of water.  I didn't snack if I wasn't hungry throughout the day, and I made some nice, healthy suppers. If we pretend that I didn't eat pizza, chips, Cadbury Creme Eggs, licorice, cheesecake and spinach dip, then I did really, really well!

I have had some ups and downs so far this week, but it's not over yet!  It's counter productive to beat myself up for things I can't go back and change, and quite honestly, it's okay to indulge sometimes.  As long as it doesn't turn into a lifestyle and erase all your good habits, I see no reason to be guilt ridden because I ate some pizza.  I can decide right now to make better choices from this moment forward.  I made my ten pound plan on the 8th, and it's only the 12th, so I still have three more days to put down the junk and get going.  I haven't weighed myself yet, but I'm pretty sure I haven't lost 1.333333 pounds yet!  We'll see though.  I will weigh myself on Tuesday and let you all know how it goes.  Until then, I resolve not to eat chips and junk, and to continue exercising every day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I'm starting my push to my goal weight tomorrow!!! I love that that you put your struggles out there so you can learn from them like: have a healthy, fun meal prepped in the freezer for that night when you do NOT want to cook or find some safer munchie foods for those movie nights (I love the Eating Right potato puffs chips from Safeway - a huge 24 piece serving is only 110 calories, grapes, dill pickles, red pepper slices and carrots with hummus, air popped popcorn or even ice chips)

    ReplyDelete