Monday, March 21, 2011

Sans Gluten and Dairy (and red meat too?)

It's just about the end of week two of my six week plan to lose the last ten pounds.  This week has gone much better than last week!  I have stayed away from the unhealthy snacks, and I have gotten in some gym time and some great walks.  I also made some big changes in my diet. 

I have been having difficulty with digestion, gas and bloating lately, and it has been quite painful.  The obvious solution is to cut out whatever I am consuming that's making me feel this way, right?  So I decided to experiment a little bit.  Firstly, I know that I am lactose intolerant.  I don't drink milk (unless it's in a latte), but I do eat cheese and occasionally, ice cream.  Any time I eat yogurt, which isn't often, I feel like it just sits in my stomach like a rock.  Now, I am going to give up dairy completely, and see where that takes me. I absolutely love cheese, and I generally eat it at least once every day, so I'm going to miss it, but the rest I can live without quite easily.  That's the first thing.

Secondly, I have cut out gluten and wheat.  I have been feeling lately that I'm just not digesting it properly, and wheat is a large part of my diet.  I eat whole grain toast every morning, and we have pasta a few times a week as a family.  What I have done is substituted wheat and gluten free bread for my toast, and I bought brown rice noodles instead of pasta.  Honestly, I already feel better!  I also do a lot of baking with wheat, so I bought myself a gluten and wheat free muffin mix, and used almond milk instead of milk and apple sauce instead of oil to lower calories and dairy content.  Then I added some nice chunks of apple and lots of cinnamon, and they're actually pretty good!  So now I have my own snacks to eat that are just as tasty, but lower in calories and easier on my stomach. 

Another thing I am doing now is making a conscious effort not to eat loads of red meat.  It is also something that sits in my stomach like a rock, and to be honest, I am just not a steak and potatoes person.  I like ground beef in my spaghetti sauce, but I am just as happy with ground turkey or chicken.  My husband on the other hand is a typical man, and has been feeling starved of red meat because I have been cooking predominantly chicken and fish.  This weekend however, I bought lots of beef and pork for him, and got myself a package of chicken breasts that I put into single portions and froze.  That way, I can cook a meal for the family, and just throw on a chicken breast for myself so I don't have to deal with the beef.

I mentioned that I have stayed away from unhealthy snacks this week too, which I am really proud of!  I have had plenty of opportunities to chow down on pastries, cookies, licorice and all manner of goodies, but I haven't done it!  The only treats I had were actually pretty good for you.  I had one small bar of dark chocolate with my coffee on Saturday, and I had a couple of dried fruit and nut bars as snacks yesterday, which are made with all natural sweeteners (honey, raw sugar) and only nuts and dried fruit.  So I feel awesome about that.  For movie snacks I had air popped popcorn with a little bit of seasoning and no butter.  I also made myself some oat bars with oatmeal, honey, a teeny bit of butter, cinnamon and a ton of raisins.  They are only 110 calories each, and though they are a little dry (the recipe needs some tweaking), they are delicious.  I think something just snapped in my head after my escapades last week with the cheezies and chips and stupid junk.  I felt pretty rotten all week, and I made a firm decision not to do that to my body anymore!  I don't feel good when I eat those kinds of foods, so why on earth would I eat them?  Especially when there are healthy foods out there that taste just as good (in my humble opinion).

I am truly hoping that by doing these things I can figure out what is bothering my stomach, and in the mean time, it will help me drop a few pounds.  If it works, then I will certainly continue on this path!  So far, I've done really well in my resolve not to eat the cheese as I am slicing it up for the kids, or munch on snacks filled with wheat, dairy and other things I want to stay away from.  I will keep you all posted on how it's going, and what I find works and doesn't work.  Plus, I will be posting some healthy recipes for muffins, cookies and yummy treats that you can give your kids without all the guilt.  Though I hate, despise, and loathe cooking, I actually enjoy baking, and I have been trying lots of new and healthy recipes in the past few months that are worth sharing.

I will be posting an entry tomorrow after I weigh in to see how this week went on the scale.  Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment